Civil Union License Requirements
- It is important to note that a civil union license is valid only in the county in which it is issued.
- Both partners must be 18 years of age in order to obtain a license.
- You will be required to sign an affidavit starting you are not prohibited from entering in a civil union by the laws of the jurisdiction where you reside.
- You must show two proofs of age—one must be a certified copy of the birth certificate (issued by the county, state or country of birth—no photocopies of hospital records) or a valid passport along with one of the following: valid driver’s license, state I.D., firearms registration, naturalization papers, military I.D. or other documents showing date of birth.
- If a previous civil union were dissolved by divorce, certified copies of the Final Judgment of Dissolution are required.
- If a previous civil union were dissolved by death, a certified death certificate is required.
Currently the cost of a civil union license in Will County is $28.00 payable by cash only. Both partners must be present when applying for the license. A civil union license becomes effective one day from the date issued and is valid for 60 days from the date it becomes effective.